Thursday, March 5, 2015

When in doubt, I'll check the white balance

Dog lunges at top speed on a crisp winter afternoon.
(ISO: 200, f/4.5, Shutter: 1/400 sec.)
   The first photo demonstrates the blurred action element. I was really going for an excellent stopped action shot, but after taking countless photos for an hour, I had to bring my shivering dog inside and soak my numb fingers in tepid water. 
   It was well below 32 degrees outside, so I had no choice but to work fast. I set my ISO at 200, stepped outside, cursed at the weather and white balanced the snow. Then I lay down on my stomach, used my left forearm as a makeshift monopod and waited for my dog to gallop towards me. For each pass he made I could shoot about two or three photos before he reached point-blank range and try to smash his nose into the camera lens. The blurred action element does capture his strength and speed.
   The second photo demonstrates the shallow depth of field element. The room was very dark, so I set the ISO to 1600. The shutter was at 1/5 sec., so to hold the camera steady I lay on my stomach and used my left forearm as a makeshift monopod.
Cat takes a break to catch his breath after chasing a dog.
(ISO: 1600, f/4.8, Shutter: 1/5 sec.)
   The third photo demonstrates window lighting. It was very sunny when I took the photo. I probably could have had the ISO at 400, maybe even 200.

The Shiffman Medical Library celebrates diversity with an exhibit and lecture series titled "History
of African-Americans at WSU School of Medicine."
(ISO: 1600, f/7.1, 1/160 sec.)

No comments:

Post a Comment